xsl-list

Re: Translating "("

2004-11-15 09:02:36

   > now to get that expression into a select attrbute. As far as XML is
   > concerned it's all just an opaque string, that has three " and five '
   > so if you are using " to delimit the attrinute you need to " the
   > occurrences of " in the attribute value
   >
   > select="translate(normalize-space(ln:term),
   >    concat("' /()",'"')
   >    '_')"
   >
   > David

   And if your parser still gets confused, or all the quotes are turning before
your eyes, just use two
   variables like:

       <xsl:variable name="apos">&apos;</xsl:variable>
       <xsl:variable name="quot">&quot;</xsl:variable>

In that case you needn't use entity refs at all, you could just go

       <xsl:variable name="apos">"</xsl:variable>
       <xsl:variable name="quot">'</xsl:variable>

although it doesn't really help in this case much as you'd still have to
concat() those variables with the rest of the string. what you could do
though is to put the whole string in a variable of this form

       <xsl:variable name="x">'&#160;/(),"</xsl:variable>

then you can use

select="translate(normalize-space(ln:term),$x,'_')

   Though, as discussed recently on this list, this creates document tree
fragments rather than strings
   in XSLT 1. (Not that you would notice much about that..)

true (yes it does, and no it doesn't have any noticable effect on
performance. For example I think I remember Michael saying saxon anyway
spots this usage (a rtf just conainting a string)  and optimises away
most of the cost of builting a real rtf.

   Grtz,
   Geert

David