xsl-list

RE: xsl:with-param and imports?

2004-12-30 12:31:04

Why can I not use xsl:with-param with xsl:import and xsl:include?

import and include are things that happen while assembling the stylesheet
from a collection of modules. with-param is something that happens while
executing a stylesheet. Since they happen at different times, it wouldn't
make sense to use them together.

Or alternately, is there some other workaround for the following?

If stylesheet A declares a top-level stylesheet parameter <xsl:param
name="s"/>, then a stylesheet module B that imports A can define a value for
this parameter using <xsl:param name="s" select="1234"/>, or even
<xsl:variable name="s" select="1234"/>. (This is clearly stated in the XSLT
2.0 spec, it's implicit in the 1.0 spec.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

I have my stylesheets, which require a top-level parameter called
citation-style.

These stylesheets then get imported into a document
stylesheet like so,
in which two primary templates get called:

   <xsl:import href="../citeproc.xsl"/>
   <xsl:output method="xhtml" encoding="utf-8" indent="yes"/>
   <xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>
   <xsl:template match="/">
       <head>
         <title>Testing</title>
       </head>
             <xsl:apply-templates/>
             <xsl:if test="//db:footnote">
                 <h3>Notes:</h3>
                 <xsl:apply-templates select="//db:footnote"
mode="footnote-list"/>
             </xsl:if>
               <h3>References</h3>
               <xsl:call-template name="bib:format-bibliography">
                 <xsl:with-param name="output-format"
select="'xhtml'"/>
               </xsl:call-template>
   </xsl:template>

While it's not essential to be able to set the citation-style
parameter
in this stylesheet, it would be nice (a document stylesheet
would often
imply a single citation-style).  But how?

Bruce

--~--