xsl-list

RE: Recursive grouping - simple, XSLT 1.0, fast non-Muenchian grouping method

2004-12-20 14:41:38
At 04:03 PM 12/20/2004, Mike wrote:
> The presented algorithm works much faster than Muenchian
> grouping without xsl:key

The use of xsl:key is essential to Muenchian grouping, so there seems to be
some misunderstanding here.

Is this the case? All the key retrievals in Muenchian grouping (and all key retrievals period, IIUC) can be done using brute force location paths with predicates. (But it's true that the particular contribution Steve Muench made to the method in XSLT may be the application of keys: is this what makes the method "Muenchian"?)

Not that I am recommending this.

I rather liked the proposed recursive method. Apart from performance (generally not a problem for me in any case :-), it's neat -- maybe even clearer to understand, for the newbie, than Muenchian.

The really under-utilized grouping method, however (to my mind), is the variable-based grouping technique Ken Holman has proposed and demonstrated. It may not be as general-purpose as these others -- but when it can be applied it's both simple and fast.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez