xsl-list

Re: Data-driven Display of records with variable number of fields

2004-12-10 10:18:51
Thanx Wendell. This worked out fine!

-- Rich

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wendell Piez" <wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: [xsl] Data-driven Display of records with variable number of
fields

Rich,

The usual approach to this is to use the name() or local-name() function
extract the names of your elements as strings, and then do string testing
against those names in the predicate of an XPath, to select them.

So when your context node is an unknown element type, you can still get
all
the nodes of that type that are, say, children of some othe node $parent,
by saying

$parent/*[name()=name(current())]

... you can even parameterize a name (again as a string) and pass it
around
between templates.

So let's say you wanted to process a set of $records ... you could say

<xsl:for-each select="$records">
   <xsl:variable name="thisrecord" select=".">
   <xsl:for-each select="/headers/*">
     <xsl:apply-templates
       select="$thisrecord/*[local-name()=local-name(current())]"/>
   </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:for-each>

... which applies templates only to the children of each member of
$records
whose names appear as the name of an element child of /headers, in the
order they appear there. (In this example I used the local-name() function
so you could keep your elements in separate namespaces if you wanted.)

I hope this is enough to get you going.

Cheers,
Wendell