xsl-list

Re: In which sequence should specs be read?

2004-12-10 02:13:58
In my opinion, there is no such sequence, in practise.
I've been implementing xslt 2.0 now for a year, and still, I am
continually cross-checking between the various specs.

However, if you have the ability to read and totally absorb a
specification at one reading then you might try a sequence like:

1) XML
2) XML Names
3) XML Schema
4) XPath Data Model
5) XPath
6) XPath/XQuery functions and operators
5) XSLT
6) XSLT/XQuery serialization

I don't implement XSLT 2.0 (I'm sticked to 1.0) so I'll express my oppinion
about this list for
XSLT 1.0

1) XML
 - a must. But for the start, a tutorial might be enough.
2) XML Names
 - a must. But still, for the start, a tutorial might be enough.
3) XML Schema
 - not a must. May be totally skipped in the beginning.
4) XPath Data Model
 - of course, a must
5) XPath
 - a must
6) XPath/XQuery functions and operators
 - XQuery... who needs XQuery when is implementing XSLT?
5) XSLT
 - also a must
6) XSLT/XQuery serialization
 - this has nothing to do with XPath 1.0/XSLT 1.0. In fact, parts of it are
included in XSLT 1.0
spec

=====
Marian