xsl-list

Re: Same XPath expression with diferent results

2004-12-08 05:27:22
Well, the xsl i was talking it's not exactly the one indicated, it's similar but with some changes, like using //menu in the match pattern (i know now it's irrelevant), using for-each as your second example, and various conbinations of using ancestor axis on the second apply-templates. I've also changed the strucuture to work with call-templates instead of a single template match="menu".

Nothing works, however...

xptm wrote:

My xsl is in http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/Java/dmenus.xsl .. You can also see the transformation in http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/Java/tap.html . It seems mine xsl it's a "combination" oh the two you show. I don't understand the firts one, toughth, specially the line

<xsl:template match="node() | attribte::*"/>

but i'll check that out.

Thanks for your input.

david_n_bertoni(_at_)us(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com wrote:

I don't understand this. Giving the xml in
http://gti.clientes.gtinformatica.pt/Site/Java/Menus.xml if
i inspect the xpath expression //menu (using the jEdit XPath
Tool) it gives a count 0f 8. That's what i expected.

But in

              <xsl:template match="//menu">
          blabla
              </xsl:template>

blabla only appears 3 times, corresponding to the /menus/menu.
Why this isn't giving the same 8 results?

Because the menu elements are nested, and your template does not continue the recursive processing of the source tree, you never reach the menu elements that are descendants of another menu element.

You don't show a full stylesheet, so I'm just guessing, but try these two stylesheets produce the same output, and contrast the typical "push" vs. "pull" styles:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="node() | attribte::*"/>

<xsl:template match="menu">
 <xsl:text>blabla</xsl:text>
 <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

<?xml version="1.0"?> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="/">
 <xsl:for-each select="//menu">
   <xsl:text>blabla</xsl:text>
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Note that "//" is not necessary in a match pattern.

Dave

--~--

--~--