xsl-list

Re: xsl:value-of, xsl:copy, xsl:copy-of

2004-12-06 09:08:45
--- John <john-xsl-list(_at_)jpw3(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone provide a quick line or two that defines and differentiates
xsl:value-of, xsl:copy
and xsl:copy-of?  I understand some of the differences and can get more info
from books and
online, but in putting some training materials together I want to make sure I
understand this
fully and get it as concise and correct as possible.

TIA,

   -John
<xsl:value-of select="expression"/> - evaluates the string-value of the
expression and put it in
the output.

<xsl:copy>...</xsl:copy> generates an element having the same name with the
current element.
It is (neglecting namespace stuff) 100% equivalent with <xsl:element
name="name()">...</xsl:element>

<xsl:copy-of select="expression"/> - copies the nodes in the expression (one or
many nodes) into
the output stream, with all their content (attributes, children, etc).

=====
Marian
http://www.utdallas.edu/~mgo031000/