xsl-list

Re: Newbie - howto write to an XML file with XSL

2004-12-05 02:30:17

I am trying to read in an xml file, display it as a web page, where a
user can insert data into avaiable text fields for the xsl script to
write back out (append) to the xml tree i.e. use the xml document as a
database to store data in.

Is this a valid use for xsl, and how do I do it.
Useful URLs would be great!

No, it isn't.
It is a valid use for the first part: "read in an xml file, display it as a web
page, where a user
can insert data into avaiable text fields"
Then, you need a server-side script to collect the data from the user and alter
the XML file
(eventually using another XSLT file, that takes as parameters what needs to be
changed in a file).
But even so, a XSLT file will not alter the original file: so you will do on
the server something
like this: file.xml ---(alter.xsl)--> newFile.xml ; copy newFile.xml into
file.xml

=====
Marian
http://www.utdallas.edu/~mgo031000/