xsl-list

RE: How to Display as text the select predicates of apply-templates

2005-01-20 02:07:49
Well, there aren't many programming languages that allow a program to read
its own source code, but you're in luck, because XSLT is one of them.

<xsl:value-of select="document('')/*/xsl:variable[(_at_)name='bool']/@select"/>

should do the trick.

The alternative solution to this problem is to have the search conditions
supplied as a string (for example in a stylesheet parameter or a
configuration file) and to use dyn:evaluate() to turn the string into an
expression that you can evaluate.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: david [mailto:dariggs(_at_)nichibun(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp]
Sent: 20 January 2005 07:08
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] How to Display as text the select predicates
of apply-templates

I am using xslt to search an xml file of resonses to a
survey. I want to
display the search predicates at the top of the results of
the search.
How do I get at the text of the search to show what the argument was
that produced the result which I am displaying?

I put the search into a variable at the top of the xslt file:

<xsl:variable name="bool"
select="/responses/response[section/number_sewn &gt; 3]"/>

And then use it

<xsl:apply-templates select="$bool">

I also want to display the search argument on the output, so
I know what
it was that this output is searching for.

If I use <xsl:value-of select="$bool"/> I just get the text
value of the
first element of the selected set. And if I first define the search
argument as a string with select="'/responses/...... '"
(double-quoting
to make it a string, not a node set), I can display that
easily enough,
but I cannot find a way to make that variable then select a node set.

Seems so simple, and it is so simple that I cannot find it in the
archives. Sorry for such a trivial question.

Many thanks.

David Riggs

Kyoto

--~--