xsl-list

RE: super basic xsl question

2005-01-13 15:04:10

From: Wendell Piez [mailto:wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]

I've seen this practice in stylesheets written by beginners who
don't know
how apply-templates work, and who then rely on value-of to get
their output
-- and who then discover they have to suppress the output of the default
traversal (which this does). This can get really tangled and obscure:

Those are the people that say "XSLT sucks! I tried it once, but it is really
tangled and obscure."

This accounts for what I like to call the "Taoist" character of
XSLT. Think
Yin and Yang. Most programmers are used to Yang processing (what
in XSLT we
call "pull"). Learn to rely on Yin. Use the Force, and the document will
transform itself with minimal intervention from you.

Nice :-)

-ml-