xsl-list

RE: msxml apostrophe encoding

2005-01-13 10:37:06

Thanks for all of the responses.   I've tried all of your
suggestions, but with no success.  (tried changing the
encoding of the HTML file, removed document.write and the
double transform(thanks!), and tried the windows-1252
encoding on the output and html file)

I did try changing the initial xml encoding from the server
to UTF-8, but there are problems.  I'm using Livelink to
generate the xml.  The default encoding is ISO-8859-1, when
changing it to UTF-8 the xml process fails (throws an error)
on any unrecognized characters. (such as the apostrophe in
question)  Is there any work around for this, given that the
initial xml encoding needs to be ISO-8859-1?  Or, am I doomed
if I can't change the initial xml encoding?

I believe the apostrophe in question is a "U+2019 : RIGHT
SINGLE QUOTATION MARK".  How could I test for this in the
xsl? What's the correct syntax to represent a U+2019
character in a stylesheet?  Here's the html file which I'm
trying to insert into.  I am grabbing the body id and
inserting the transformation into the body using innerHTML.

I've joined the thread late so if I've misunderstood something...

Couldn't you just use the ascii output encoding, thereby forcing the
serialiser to output a character reference instead of the character
itself.  This means whatever is reading in your output will be fine as
its pure ascii (every encoding supports ascii (don't quote me) so it
doesn't matter what encoding the other end is expecting).

cheers
andrew