xsl-list

RE: Re: XML / XSL Editors

2005-01-10 13:37:31
You ought to include Stylus Studio in your list as well. I use it for most
of my XML editing; I particularly like the ability to validate using
different schema processors, since it's not uncommon to get differences
between them. The grid view in the latest version works very well for
data-oriented XML - I've always hated grid views in the past, but this one
starts to feel as easy to use as a spreadsheet. I also like the way it shows
XPath query results. I don't tend to use Stylus for XSLT work, but that's
only because my requirements in that area are rather specialized...

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: António Mota [mailto:amsmota(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 10 January 2005 20:24
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: XML / XSL Editors

Well, uptil now i've been testing XMLSpy, oXygen and Exchanger. Here's
my toughts and request for comments:

XMLSpy is realy a heavy-weight, it seems to do everything. Too many
things... And it's a lot expensive than the others, so the choice is
to buy one XMLSpy or 4/5 of the others... And i really don't like
mainstream software, reflexes of my revolutionary youth :)

I was tending to oXygen due to the positive mentions here on list. It
seems very good from the developer point of view, i really like that
trang thing, specially from learning the various languages by
converting one into another. HOWEVER it seems not so good from the
non-XSL-expert data-entry point of view. There's only the Tree Editor
that seems to me both confusing and hard to work. And this data-entry
thing is important.

Exchanger seems to be a lot better. I really like the way one can
create types (XML/Schema pieces) and then edit them. That's that what
i had in mind since the beggining, and i didn´t find the way to do it
in the other editors (not that don't exist, i just couldn't find it).
And i really like that Outliner/Editor/Tree Viewer for the data entry
thing. It seems to me a good balance beteween development capabilities
and data-entry facilities.

So i'll like to ear some comments from you guys, besides "then go with
Exchanger if you liked it", mainly because i ddidn´t test *that* much
and i'm probably missing something around the way...

Thanks, and excuse the bad english...

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:30:47 -0500, Wendell Piez