xsl-list

RE: Stylesheet optimisation

2005-01-10 07:01:37
When the question is as general as this, I think one can only give very
general answers: make sure you know what the performance requirements are;
measure everything that's relevant; don't optimize anything unless you have
a performance problem; if you do have a performance problem, drill down to
where the problem is before you attempt any tuning.

There are lots of hints and tips one can give for improving stylesheet
performance, but they may well not be relevant to your situation.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: christof(_dot_)hoeke(_at_)e-7(_dot_)com
[mailto:christof(_dot_)hoeke(_at_)e-7(_dot_)com]
Sent: 10 January 2005 12:11
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Stylesheet optimisation

Hi,
My question might be a bit too general, nevertheless: Are
there any general strategies/options to optimize the
rendering performance of an XSLT set for a given project?

A bit of background to the given project:
- a portal website with about 5000-10000 pages including
dynamic pages (applications and forms) which need to be
rerendered with each request
- each page is rendered in about 3-5 different steps (due to
the portal software and/or pagetype)
- most steps use the same XML, only for some steps on
selected pages a different XML is used
- each step is rendered with its own XSLset, some are mostly
the same and included, some are completely different

Would there be any general optimisation options which could
be applied to the XSLT (not the general setup)?
At the moment only caching of mostly static pages and
prerendering of some steps is done. Would something like
custom XSLT extensions (for complex stuff done now directly
in XSL) be a help?

I know this *is* quite general, but any hints are very much
appreciated...

Thanks
Chris

--~--