xsl-list

Re: xslt and the filesystem

2005-02-22 04:29:25
Recently there was an anouncement from Oleg Paraschenko:

"find with XPath over file system " at:

This, combined with the document() and the unparsed-text() functions
provide all the necessary functionality and flexibility to find, read
and process any (permitted) text file (xml and non-xml) in the file
system.

Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:44:01 +0000,
tom(_dot_)kirkpatrick(_at_)virusbtn(_dot_)com
<tom(_dot_)kirkpatrick(_at_)virusbtn(_dot_)com> wrote:
Is it possible for xsl/xpath, via the document() function, to read in all
files in a particular directory...

Basicly I have a configuration file, which lists the directories I want to
search in which looks like so:

<config>
  <category name="comments" location="/xml/articles/comments"/>
  <category name="analysis" location="/xml/articles/analysis"/>
<config>

In each of those directories are a number of XML files which I would like
to process. Up untill now I have been using Perl to read the filesystem
and create an XML index file which I then use in my processing template to
access all the files within that those directories.

It would be really neet If I could just get the XSL template to look at
everyfile in the directory, and apply appropriate processing:

Something like:

<xsl:template match "/">
  <xsl:variable name="config" select="document('/global/config.xml') />

  <xsl:for-each select="$config/config/category(_at_)location>
     <xsl:for-each select="FILEFOUND"/>
               ... do processing ...
     </xsl:for-each>
  </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

where FILEFOUND represents somekind of wildcard which tells the processor
to read all files fvrom the filesystem

thanks in advance

--
Tom David Kirkpatrick
Virus Bulletin Web Developer, Virus Bulletin

Tel: +44 1235 555139
Web: www.virusbtn.com

--~--