xsl-list

Re: OT (browser standards)

2005-02-21 21:09:48
I think, we should stop discussing more about this
topic :) Otherwise we might get caught breaking
charter of XSL-List..

Regards,
Mukul

--- Robert Koberg <rob(_at_)koberg(_dot_)com> wrote:

Mukul Gandhi wrote:
I was suggesting this sort of activity only.. This
page very well puts the need..
http://webstandards.org/about/

But this seems an unofficial body.. Its just like
you
and me expressing our opinion!

you do realize that the w3c is just an opinion,
don't you?

best,
-Rob

In this site, there is a page
http://webstandards.org/act/bug/ , where we can
report
bugs to browser vendors.. But that mail would go
Microsoft, Mozilla or Opera.. Its just like, when
get an error on IE, an error page pops up saying

What we need is, that W3C starts such activity,
and
sets a similar kind of site... After collecting
feedbacks fom users, W3C can submit the list to
vendors.. If they can ensure enforcement, it'll be
great! But thats not possible, I think, as W3C can
only recommend standards, but cannot enforce
them..

Regards,
Mukul

--- Robert Koberg <rob(_at_)koberg(_dot_)com> wrote:

Have you seen:

http://webstandards.org/

?

best,
-Rob

Mukul Gandhi wrote:

Hi David,
 The new standard errort you are refering
(http://www.whatwg.org/) seems to aim to

standardize

new widgets like RTF controls, menus and toolbars
etc..

Its a nice effort..

But we already have lot of standards like HTTP

1.1,

HTML 4, XML 1.0, XSLT 1.0, SSL 3.0 etc.. First,
implementation of these should be uniform acrosss
browsers..

I feel, many of the specs implemented are uniform
across major browsers(I would say 65%). Probably,

W3C

should make a list of things which are not
uniform(studying themself, and by taking user
feedbacks) and submit that list to MS, Mozilla,

Opera

to be implemented! MS can release patches for IE,

as

it practices today. I am not sure, whether W3C

charter

permits this activity.. Probably yes.. It will

surely

benifit users..

Regards,
Mukul

--- David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

The "Web Browser Framework standard" could

include

something like following list as minimum set of
features that should be same(including spec
versions
like HTTP 1.1, XSLT 1.0 etc) across all
browsers

-

the chance of getting xslt in a minimum  agreed

set

of features is
I would say zero. Opera, Safari and my mobile

phone

don't do xslt and I
don't see any sign of them doing so in the
foreseeable future.

If you want to see what one subset of browser
implementors thinks is core
browse around

http://www.whatwg.org/

David