xsl-list

XPath 1.0 issue

2005-02-15 06:55:20
Xalan and Saxon both allow an arbitrary number of space characters between the parenthesis in a node test, and I was
wondering if this is technically legal in XPath 1.0.

An example would be:
<xsl:apply-templates select="node(      )"/>

The XPath TR specifically states that whitespace can exist between tokens, but I'm not exactly sure how "token" is defined after reading the recent thread concerning "$ varname".

A node test in the XPath TR is defined as:

[7]      NodeTest   ::=  NameTest
                                  | NodeType '(' ')'
| 'processing-instruction' '(' Literal ')'

Can anyone explain this to me?