xsl-list

Re: XSLT for Extensibility

2005-02-02 10:54:54
* Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> [2005-01-29 15:32]:
   How do you allow the user to plug in new tasks?

   This is a general problem I'm having, how do you create hooks,
   callbacks, er, how do you create an XSLT framework?

Read about FXSL. It is a system to build and use higher-order
functions in pure XSLT.

    [snip]

   --

   I asked elsewhere, and pipelines were suggested

This is naturally done in FXSL by functional composition. As result
otherwise difficlut problems can be solved in a one-liner XPath
expression.

Read more about FXSL at:

               http://fxsl.sf.net

    For one project I'm opting to use pipelines of sorts. I'll
    generate intermediate files, and transform them further.

    Using this method, I can see how one would create a two step
    process, or three step process, but not how one would create a
    properly recursive process.

    Where I'm using Saxon 8.X, I'll start using FXSL.

    I can see how callbacks, and curried functions could be used to
    define an API, but I'm sure there is a lot to learn in practice.

    Where can I see examples of an API specified in FXSL? Or is it
    so young that I sould study Haskell for best practice?

    Also, I see no lists for FXSL. Is this the correct forum in
    which to field new user questions?

    Thanks for recommending this. I'm looking forward to finally
    learning functional programming.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan(_at_)engrm(_dot_)com