xsl-list

RE: extrat value from current node only.

2005-03-30 05:59:56

Below are my xml & xls file:

One of the first things to learn with XSLT is to get your fingers around the
acronym...

________________ XML FILE _______________________

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<items>
      <item>
         title 1
         <description>description 1</description>
      </item>
      <item>
         title 2
         <description>description 2</description>
      </item>
</items>

Generally this isn't a good way of using XML mixed content (elements and
text nodes as siblings of each other). The normal use of mixed content is
for marking up parts of a continuous text, for example, <para>here is some
the text with the adjacent elements, then the text should be in its own
element.

XSLT's value-of instruction assumes this design principle, because when you
take the value-of the <item> element, it concatenates all the contained
text.

You can get at "title 1" separately from the description element by
accessing the text nodes directly, but it's harder work.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/