xsl-list

Re: decorator / wrapper design pattern

2005-03-18 08:04:24
Assuming your output is HTML, the easiest solution to this is a CSS
stylesheet. However, in XSL, the easiest way to do it is simply to use
apply-templates and literal result elements, thus:

<xsl:template match="section">
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="title">
  <h1 style="font-style: italic"><xsl:apply-templates/></h1>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="paragraph">
</xsl:template>

Perhaps I could help more if you told me what you are really trying to do.
In HTML, you can nest elements or apply multiple styles through CSS, so I
guess you are not writing HTML as your output. What is your actual desired
output?

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Schaik, L.B. van" <L_B_van_Schaik(_at_)library(_dot_)leidenuniv(_dot_)nl>
03/18/2005 07:37 AM
Please respond to
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

<xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
cc

Subject
[xsl] decorator / wrapper design pattern

Hi,

I'm using XSL version 1.0 and am trying to use the decorator design
pattern, but can't get it to work in XSL.
Here is what I try to achieve:
Different types of elements all need to be surrounded by the same text.
For example:

I've XML:
<base>
  <section>
     <title>the title</title>
     <paragraph>some text</paragraph>
     <paragraph>more text</paragraph>
  </section>
  <section>
     <title>the title</title>
     <paragraph>other text</paragraph>
     <paragraph>more other text</paragraph>
     <paragraph>and more text</paragraph>
  </section>
</base>

Now I want all text in titles and in paragraphs to be italic and in
titles also to be bold.
My first thought was to use call-template like this:
<xsl:template match="title">
  <xsl:call-template name="bold">
    <xsl:call-template name="italic">
       <xsl:value-of select="."/>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

But this is not the way to do this.
I cannot however figure out or find the solution. The decoration that
must be applied is much more complicated than bold or italic, but that
is besides the point, I think.
Here is my second try, but here is the problem that I cannot nest
decorators, so bold and italic is not possible on the same element:

version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:call-template name="body"/>
</xsl:template>