xsl-list

RE: Namespace declarations in XML

2005-03-16 06:28:04

I have a client passing me a feed with a top-level element
that looks like this:

<ArrayOfProductType
xmlns="http://catalog.9squared.com";>

Now, am I mistaken in thinking that namespace declarations
are inappropriate in an XML feed? And if I am mistaken, how
do I work with that? I even duplicated these namespace
declarations in my xsl and then pointed them to resolve to
the xsl namespace, but I am still getting nothing to output.

All elements in the above feed are in the 'http://catalog.9squared.com'
namespace, so in order to match them you will have to declare that
namespace in your stylesheet, give it a prefix and then match elements
with that prefix:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:foo="http://catalog.9squared.com"; ......

And then:

<xsl:template match="foo:whatever">.....

Read here for more 'Matching nodes in the default namespace' info:

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N5536.html#d6408e1012

cheers
andrew