xsl-list

RE: XSLT 1 and 2 differences (d-o-e and namespaces)

2005-03-11 12:59:53
I was going though the new features provided by XSLT 2.0 language. I
found that disable-output-escaping is now discouraged. I thought d-o-e
was useful under special circumstances.. Why it will be deprectaed in
XSLT 2.0? And what will be similar alternative in 2.0.

Please see the answer on another thread.

Also I found that namespace axis is deprecated in XSLT 2.0 . Why it is
done so? Is it not an useful axis for XSLT programmers?

The namespace axis offers more functionality than is needed (namespace nodes
have identity, and have parents) and this makes it expensive to implement in
some environments, e.g. when creating a view over a relational database.
There are two new functions in-scope-prefixes() and
namespace-uri-for-prefix() that provide the necessary functionality without
the same overheads.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/