xsl-list

XSL distinct group by date

2005-04-23 19:49:25
Hi Everyone,
I'm very new to XML/XSL, so I'm struggling with something that seems it
should be fairly straightforward. With the following XML:

<documents>
        <casestudies>
                <study id="">
                        <title />
                        <date />
                        <description><![CDATA[ ]]></description>
                        <pdf />
                        <logo />
                </study>
        </casestudies>
        <knowledgeadmin>
                <pressreleases>
                        <pressrelease id="">
                                <title />
                                <date />
                                <description><![CDATA[ ]]></description>
                                <pdf />
                        </pressrelease>
                </pressreleases>
                <whitepapers>
                        <whitepaper id="">
                                <id />
                                <title />
                                <date />
                                <description><![CDATA[ ]]></description>
                                <pdf />
                        </whitepaper>
                </whitepapers>
        </knowledgeadmin>
        <news>
                <newsitem id="">
                        <title />
                        <date />
                        <description><![CDATA[ ]]></description>
                        <fulltext><![CDATA[ ]]></fulltext>
                </newsitem>
        </news>
</documents>

I want to be able to get the different groups (newsitem, whitepaper,
pressrelease) each grouped by year. Using news as example, I want to
generate a list of distinct years in news/newsitem/date and make that a URL
that can be clicked to get the list of newsitems that were in that year. I'm
open to suggestions on how the date should be formatted. I'm at a stage
where I can restructure the XML as well, if that appears necessary.

I'm on Win 2K3 Web Edition server using VBScript. Here is my transformation
code, which should show the processors/versions used:

<%
' load list of news dats from xml
Dim oXSL
Dim myTemplate
Dim myProc
Dim oXML

set oXML = server.createobject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
oXML.async = false
oXML.load( dbPath )

Set oXSL = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.4.0")
oXSL.async = false
oXSL.load Server.MapPath("xsl/date_list.xsl")

' compliled XSL template
Set myTemplate = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.XSLTemplate.4.0")
myTemplate.stylesheet = oXSL

Set myProc = myTemplate.createProcessor() myProc.input = oXML

myProc.output = Response
myProc.transform()
%>

I'm on a very tight deadline and having been trying/researching for several
hours for a solution to this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Mindy