xsl-list

RE: Passing a variable number of parameters or rather an array

2005-04-20 11:41:11
I would like to pass an array of strings to the stylesheet.
Does anyone have
an example of doing this, or know where one is. I looked at
xalan examples
and none of the examples seem to fit, plus I can't find one
anywhere else.

XSLT 2.0 supports a data type "sequence of strings" so an XSLT 2.0 processor
is likely to provide a mechanism for passing a sequence of strings as a
parameter value. With Saxon 8.x, you can do this by passing a Java array of
strings or List of strings to the JAXP Transformer#setParameter() method.

XSLT 1.0 doesn't have such a data type, so it's typically handled (as others
have said) by passing either:

(a) an XML document, from which you can extract the string

(b) a single string containing the actual strings separated by spaces or
commas (say), which your stylesheet can then tokenize.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/