xsl-list

Re: xsl help adding a footer with page number

2005-04-08 14:10:19
Only one thought occurs to me for this problem:

Every printer has a dead area around the edges of the page where it cannot
print (because the feed mechanism needs to hold onto something). It could
be that your PDF viewer is positioning the footer block above the dead
spot. Then, because of the height of that block, the viewer thinks the
footer block overlaps the body area. Meanwhile, the printer just does what
it's told, so you get the correct printed output. Try bigger header and
footer areas (.75 instead of .5, perhaps) and see if it clears up. Mind
you, that's a guess, but I can't think of many things that would make an
on-screen viewer be different than what the printer is doing.

Also, I should have removed the xsl:use-attribute-sets attributes from the
blocks I posted last time. They are meaningless unless you have defined
named attribute sets elsewhere (I do it in a separate file, so that I can
easily fiddle with style choices). You can just remove them (or take up
using the same trick, if you like).

By the way, a question very similar to this one (large images crowding
into the footer) was just asked on the FOP mailing list. Since many of
your problems are specific to FOP, I think you might do well to post some
questions over there. You can subscribe here:
http://xml.apache.org/fop/maillist.html. (I think I said it was on
SourceForge in some other post; my bad - I must have been thinking of
Saxon).

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

josh higgins <doopsterus(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
04/08/2005 03:47 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
cc

Subject
Re: [xsl] xsl help adding a footer with page number

J,

I am getting my text on my main page running in to my
footer is this a common problem.  Here is how I have
set up my page.  Ideas why this is happening.  Seems
like the text on the page goes all the way to the
bottom but does not do that when I print it off but
when I view the pdf it does.

   <fo:layout-master-set>
      <fo:simple-page-master master-name="main"
                   xsl:use-attribute-sets="pagedef">
                                   <fo:region-body region-name="main"
                                                   page-height="11in"
                                                   page-width="8.5in"
                   margin-top="0.5in"
                   margin-bottom="0.5in"
                   margin-left="0.5in"
                   margin-right="0.5in"/>
                                   <fo:region-before
region-name="header-main"
extent="0.5in"/>
                                   <fo:region-after
region-name="footer-main"
extent="0.5in"/>
                   </fo:simple-page-master>
   </fo:layout-master-set>

   <fo:page-sequence master-reference="main">
                                 <fo:static-content
flow-name="header-main">
                                     <fo:block
xsl:use-attribute-sets="header">
                                       HEADER GOES HERE
                                     </fo:block>
                                   </fo:static-content>
                                   <fo:static-content
flow-name="footer-main">
                                     <fo:block text-align="center"
font-size="8pt"
xsl:use-attribute-sets="footer">
                                       <fo:page-number/>
                                     </fo:block>
                                   </fo:static-content>

                 <fo:flow flow-name="main">

--- JBryant(_at_)s-s-t(_dot_)com wrote:

Hi, Josh,

Here's a simplified version of one of my page
definitions:

<fo:simple-page-master master-name="main"
xsl:use-attribute-sets="pagedef">
  <fo:region-body region-name="main"
margin-top="1in"
margin-bottom="1in"/>
  <fo:region-before region-name="header-main"
extent="1in"/>
  <fo:region-after region-name="footer-main"
extent="1in"/>
</fo:simple-page-master>

Note that the regions have names.

And here's the corresponding flow definition (much
simplified, of course):

<fo:page-sequence master-reference="main">
  <fo:static-content flow-name="header-main">
    <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="header">
      <fo:external-graphic src="logo.gif"/>
    </fo:block>
  </fo:static-content>
  <fo:static-content flow-name="footer-main">
    <fo:block xsl:use-attribute-sets="footer">
      <fo:page-number/>
    </fo:block>
  </fo:static-content>
  <fo:flow flow-name="main">
    <!-- Build the document here -->
  </fo:flow>
</fo:page-sequence>

The static-content chunks flow into the before and
after regions, and the
main flow goes in the usual flow area. In this
fashion, you can build a
series of different page definitions. I generally
use front (for the title
page and copyright notices and such), contents (for
the table of
contents), main (for the body of the book), and back
(for the appendixes,
glossary, and index). So most of my book definition
FO files have 4 page
masters and 4 corresponding page-sequence objects,
each with
static-content ojbects (that match the regions
defined in the page
masters) for the headers and footers.

Let me know if you need more explanation. Also, you
FOP distribution has
several examples to examine.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services
(presently consulting at Synergistic Solution
Technologies)

josh higgins <doopsterus(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
04/08/2005 02:17 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

xsl <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
cc

Subject
[xsl] xsl help adding a footer with page number

I have the following template specified and I was
trying to add a custom footer to this document.  I
am
using FO and not html.  All I want in the footer is
the page number followed by the word "CURRENT".  How
can I do this?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

 <xsl:template match="/">
  <fo:root
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>

   <fo:layout-master-set>
     <fo:simple-page-master master-name="simple"
                   page-height="11in"
                   page-width="8.5in"
                   margin-top=".5in"
                   margin-bottom=".5in"
                   margin-left=".5in"
                   margin-right=".5in">
     <fo:region-body margin-top=".5in"/>
       <fo:region-before extent=".5in"/>
       <fo:region-after extent=".5in"/>
     </fo:simple-page-master>
   </fo:layout-master-set>

   <fo:page-sequence master-reference="simple">
                 <fo:flow
flow-name="xsl-region-body">
                                 <!-- I have
fo:blocks displayed items
here -->
                 </fo:flow>
   </fo:page-sequence>
  </fo:root>
 </xsl:template>

Yahoo! Personals - Better first dates. More second
dates.
http://personals.yahoo.com

--~--

--~--