xsl-list

Re: testing for string and number in XSLT 2.0 was Re: [xsl] Test For Numeric Values?

2005-04-08 09:40:19
I agree with David,

At 07:49 AM 4/8/2005, he wrote:
> How exactly would you like it to differ?

I can't speak for James but

I'd like it to be native to XPath not imported in from some other
(somewhat controversial) specification. Apart from anything else, this
would save having to declare the schema namespace in every stylesheet
and then declare its prefix to be omitted from any result tree.

Right. One area of confusion is going to be teaching users they must do this even if there is no XSD anywhere bound to their document, no PSVI, and "only" XML.

Note it has nothing to do with any functional difference, but only one of understanding the terrain or "lay of the land", in the actual (not presumed) interdependencies between the specs.

However I wouldn't dream of asking that that actually happen now, I
doubt anyone wants to add a few more years delay:-) the current system
has evolved quite well, and works a lot better in practice than it
looked like it was going to work when the first drafts of a schemarised
version of xpath were floated. I suspect that we have you to thank for
that as much as anyone:-)

Hear, hear.

And yes, anything on that level would really have to be a doozy.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez