xsl-list

Re: Merging arbitrary XML files

2005-05-29 17:50:20
Hi Frans,
  I wrote a merging XSLT stylesheet some time back.
The URL is http://gandhimukul.tripod.com/merge.html ..

I'll be happy if this may help you .. This stylesheet
assumes a particular structure for source XMLs ; so
may not meet your criteria exactly ..

Regards,
Mukul

--- Frans Englich <frans(_dot_)englich(_at_)telia(_dot_)com> wrote:
 For example, for the following
two files:

-----------
<doc>
      <foo/>
      <bar/>
</doc>
-----------

-----------
<doc>
      <foo href="content" />
      <bar/>
      <joe/>
</doc>
-----------

Would the result be:
-----------
<doc>
      <foo href="content" />
      <bar/>
      <bar/>
      <joe/>
</doc>
-----------

Some of the approaches wouldn't be obvious, but
conventional. For example how
to do with identical attributes would perhaps be
defined as depending on what
file that is merged into which one(or vice versa),
and interpreting identical
elements as that they should be added next to each
other(as opposed to one
replacing) is also arbitrary.

From my reading of the Delta-XML paper(skimmed), it
looks like they solved it,
by producing a middle-step with a XML file
containing meta-data by the use of
procedural-code(or whatever is term for those
classic languages?), which then
is with XSL-T transformed to a suitable output.

However.. I want to do it with XSL-T 1.0(or 2.0, if
necessary), and perhaps
some E-XSLT.

But I've not gotten very far. I think an Identity
Transform is a good start.
From each template that matches an element or
attribute, one could from there
look up the appropriate sections in the other file.

AFAICT, one can find a lot of information about the
context, but I don't know
how to bring that to use in order to locate the
nodes that needs to be merged
from the other file.

I wonder:

Does anyone know of any open source project that
attempts to do XML merging?

Anyone has a template or two of their shelf that
does it? ;-)

In other words, brain storming, thoughts about this,
is appreciated.

Cheers,

              Frans

--~--