xsl-list

Re: Customising an XSLT processor

2005-05-21 05:55:36
"Wendell" == Wendell Piez <wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> writes:

    Wendell> Colin,
    Wendell> At 01:41 AM 3/15/2005, you wrote:
    >> This is something I've been thinking about for Gestalt - adding
    >> the ability to customise (e.g. output methods, uri resolvers,
    >> xsl:message handling, security manager) in a scripting
    >> language, such as Python.  (I don't know Python at all, but it
    >> seems to be a generally highly regarded language).

    Wendell> That would be way cool.

Not nearly cool enough.
Why force the user to learn a particular scripting language? Better to
let them choose their favourite language.

So that's what I've done. I'm using the Parrot virtual machine, which
is being written as the vehicle for executing Perl 6. But many
different scripting languages can run on it, including Python, Ruby,
Amber, Scheme ...

I've only just started on this (on Wednesday - I had to start by
writing an Eiffel interface to Parrot), but this morning I wrote and tested an
error listener written in Amber (http://xamber.org/). It works
(but at the moment, gestalt can't get back information from the script
telling it whether or not it recovered from a recoverable error).
That will follow soon.

Actually, the error listener is by far the easiest entity to script -
a Uri resolver will be VERY difficult, I think (but not impossible).
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire