xsl-list

Re: XPath Traversing UP the Hierarchy

2005-05-10 11:29:56
As Charles just indicated, it'd be a big help to see a representative
portion of your XML file. Your description refers to a location element,
but your XSL snippet refers to a locations element. And it seems that
quantity is a child of locations. So, I'm too puzzled to be able to help
you and need to see your actual structure to do much good.

So far, it sounds like you have a grouping problem that won't be too
painful because you want all the members of the group rather than distinct
members.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Grant Bryce" <grant_bryce(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
05/10/2005 01:05 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
cc

Subject
[xsl] XPath Traversing UP the Hierarchy

Good Afternoon.  I am new to Xpath, XSLT and FOP so any help would be
greatly appreciated!!!

I have an xml doc with the following structure:

Contract -> Estimate ->itemGroup -> topSecion ->Section -> Item ->Location

In my XSL-FO I am essentially traversing through all locations that are
under the root contract.  For-each of these locations I then want to check

and see if any Item has this location (by comparing a Location element).

My problem is while at the lowest level of Location I need to step up the
hierarchy to the itemGroup level to check only those items.  I have tried
number of variations but can’t seem to get it quite right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

The inner loop has been my problem and have tried these options already
with
no success: 1. <xsl:for-each select="
ancestor-or-self::node()/ancestor-or-self::node()/ancestor-or-self::node()/ancestor-or-self::node()/items">
2. <xsl:for-each
select="ancestor::node()/ancestor::node()/ancestor::node()/ancestor::node()/items">
3. <xsl:for-each
select="parent::node()/parent::node()/parent::node()/parent::node()/items">

        <fo:table-body>
            <xsl:for-each select="./topSections/sections/items/locations">
                <xsl:variable name="locName"><xsl:value-of select="name"
/></xsl:variable>
                <fo:table-row>
                    <fo:table-cell>
                        <fo:block text-align="center">
                            <xsl:value-of select="$locName" />
                        </fo:block>
                    </fo:table-cell>

                    <!-- Iterate though all items and see if they have a
location same as outer loop
                         Display the quantity if it is.  -->
                    <xsl:for-each
select="ancestor::node()/ancestor::node()/ancestor::node()/ancestor-or-self::node()/items">
                            <fo:table-cell>
                                <fo:block text-align="center">
                                    <xsl:for-each
select="./locations[name=$locName]">