xsl-list

Trouble creating a table with multiple named templates

2005-05-02 15:51:19
Hi all,

First post. The problem I am having is creating a table using
templates. Currently my named templates out put the results in a table
format. I would like to have a master template that outputs all the
data at once, thus I have control of what the table looks like. I
currently have three XML documents merged together by ASP into one XML
document with the root node of directory. From this XML document I
have been able to pull out all the data I need using templates
specific to the nodes I am trying to acess. For example:

<xsl:template name="staffTitle" match="//directory/staffTitle/Position">
                <tbody>
                </tbody>
</xsl:template>

Where I am running into trouble is when I try to create the master
template to include all of the named templates information. I have
experimented using a template such as:

<xsl:template name="master" match="//directory">
        <tbody>
etc...

but this does not return the data in the nodes. The real question is,
is it possible to combine these named templates into a template that
can access all of their data? The master template being a table
structure using <xsl:value-of select=""/> as the way to acess data. It
works well with my named templates acessing specific parts of the XML
document. What is the hangup with going to a larger scale? I know
nesting is not a option and have read some info about using Modes but
that does not seem like it will work for what I am trying to do. I am
getting a book on Wednesday but am hoping for some help from this
wealth of knowledge. Please ask for more details or more code if that
is what you need.

Thank you,

I appreciate the help.

Max Bronsema