xsl-list

Re: Complicated grouping and column question

2005-06-29 16:00:32
Not directly relevant, but

                    <xsl:apply-templates
select="/schedule/division[substring(@name,1,1) = $current-letter]">

would be better written

<xsl:apply-templates select="current-group()"/>

David Carlisle pointed that out, and I made the change.

I suspect your problem is an HTML problem not an XSLT one: as far as I can
tell you are trying to work out what HTML you want to generate, not what
XSLT you need to write to generate it. So this may not be the best list to
help you.

No, my problem had nothing to do with HTML.  My problem was trying to
figure out how to split a fairly complicated piece of output into two
columns.  The problem would have been the same if I were outputting to
plain text.  David Carlisle also provided the solution to that, which
was to generate the whole, sorted list into a variable, and then
select into that variable to break it in half.  That might not be very
clear, though, since I feel like I just butchered it in the
explanation.

Maybe I just did a poor job explaining myself from the get-go, though.
 Thanks for your help (and for Saxon, without which I would be up a
creek sans paddle)!

Will.