xsl-list

Re: TeX to MathML by using XSLT

2005-06-29 02:23:28

  It'll be interesting to see what the folks on this list have to say
  about the problem.  Hopefully someone will prove me wrong and point
  out some simple translation routines already written!

Actually I did write some TeX to mathml translation in xslt1 (without
any extensions, so it run run in mozilla/ie) however I really wouldn't
recommend it (just matching brace groups {...{...}...} is an
"interesting" challenge in XSLT.) There are several tex to mathml
translators around now eg hermes is a relatively new and actively
mantained one (which I must say I haven't tried myself but have seen
demoed a couple of times)
http://hermes.aei.mpg.de/workshop/
or the orccca one you mentioned, or tex4ht.
and I'd look to using one of these  if I was doing "on the fly"
conversions.

For the documents  for which I originally did the translations we went a
different route and changed the markup in the documents from
xml-with-tex-fragments to xml-with-embedded-mathml, this was done using
emacs, mostly. (Over several (wo)man years, since there several hundred
thousand math expressions..), one output of that can be seen in our
xhtml+mathml C library documentation:

http://www.nag.co.uk/numeric/CL/CLdocumentation.asp

David