xsl-list

Re: Traversing nodes and storing a matched value

2005-06-29 00:39:31
Hi Mat,
  You may try something like this .. (Hope I got the
requirements right)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
           xmlns:common="http://exslt.org/common";
           version="1.0">

 <xsl:output method="text" />

 <xsl:param name="siteID" select="'1'" />

 <xsl:template match="/">
   <xsl:variable name="rtf">
     <xsl:for-each select="//exsites">
       <xsl:choose>
         <xsl:when test=". = $siteID">
           <menu name="{parent::menu/@name}">
             <process x="yes" />
           </menu>
         </xsl:when>
         <xsl:otherwise>
           <menu name="{parent::menu/@name}">
              <process x="no" />
           </menu>
         </xsl:otherwise>
       </xsl:choose>
     </xsl:for-each>
   </xsl:variable>

   <xsl:for-each
select="common:node-set($rtf)/menu/process[(_at_)x =
'yes']">
     <!-- do something -->
   </xsl:for-each>
 </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

This example uses node-set function.. and tested with
Saxon 8.4.

Regards,
Mukul

--- Mat Bergman <matbergman(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:

My efforts to streamline my stylesheet into
something
well-formed are paying off with help from this list.
am currently working with XML input that looks like
this:

<menudata>
      <menu name="link1">
      <exsites>0</exsites>
      </menu>
      <menu name="link2">
      <exsites>0</exsites>
              <menu name="link2a">
              <exsites>1</exsites>
              <exsites>2</exsites>
              </menu>
      </menu>
</menudata>

The value of the <exsites> element determines if its
parent <menu> element will appear in the output,
based
on a $siteID parameter set in the stylesheet. In
some
cases, <menu> has multiple <exsites> children.

I'm not clear how to use XSL to say, "if the value
of
ANY <exsite> matches $siteID, then flag its parent's
node for different processing". Here's my attempt
(the
section where I'm in trouble is commented):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>
<xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

<!-- siteID determines if a link is displayed for a
specific cobrand -->
<xsl:param name="siteID" select="2"/>

<xsl:template match="/menudata">
      <xsl:call-template name="write-menu">
              <xsl:with-param name="items" select="menu"/>
      </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="write-menu">
      <xsl:param name="items" select="/.."/>

      <ul>
              <xsl:for-each select="$items">
                      <xsl:call-template name="parseExclusions"/>
              </xsl:for-each>
      </ul>

</xsl:template>

<xsl:template name="parseExclusions">

<!-- Check <exsites> for a match against $siteID -
if
a match, don't display -->
      <xsl:for-each select="exsites">
              <xsl:if test="current()=$siteID">

<!-- This is where I need the stylesheet not to
write
the link if any of the <exsites> values match the
$siteID parameter -->
<!-- For now I'm just writing out the value if it
matches $siteID -->
              <xsl:value-of select="current()"/>
              </xsl:if>
      </xsl:for-each>

              <li>
                      <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
                      <xsl:if test="menu">
                              <xsl:call-template name="write-menu">
                                      <xsl:with-param name="items"
select="menu"/>
                              </xsl:call-template>
                      </xsl:if>
              </li>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

My instinct is to set a boolean variable if any
<exsite> element matches, then use that variable to
control the output. Something like this (in
pseudo-code):

<xsl:for-each select="exsites">
      <xsl:if test="current()=$siteID">
      <!-- set variable - var excludeFlag = 1 -->
      </xsl:if>
</xsl:for-each>

<!-- write tag - if (excludeFlag!=1)? -->
<li>
<xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
?
</li>
<!-- /if -->

But of course an XSL variable is a different beast.
That seems to be my real weakness in XSL, grasping
the
concept of templates over variables.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,