xsl-list

RE: Can't identify last ancestor node

2005-06-28 09:20:23
This is close to what I need, but I need to be more
clear. In this case, the context node is
/menudata/menu/menu. I want to apply unique output for
the last <menu> nodes in /menudata/menu/menu. For
instance:

<menudata>
     <menu name="link1">
          <menu name="link1a"/>
          <menu name="link1b"/>
          <menu name="link1c"/>
     </menu>
     <menu name="link2">
          <menu name="link2a"/>
          <menu name="link2b"/>
          <menu name="link2c"/>
     </menu>
</menudata>

The <menu> nodes with name="link1c" and name="link2c"
are the nodes that I'm after, but I can't figure out
how to identify those nodes with XPath.

Working with <xsl:variable name="last-menu"
select="(//menu)[last()]"/> gives me the last <menu>
node in the entire nodeset, so that my custom output
is applied only to name="link2c". So maybe [last()] is
not the predicate that I need.

Thanks for bearing with me,

-Mat

--- Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

You haven't told us what the context node is for
your code snippets -
presumably it's the <menu> element that you're
testing? In that case they
don't make any sense at all. Looking at the
ancestors of a node can't tell
you whether it has any following siblings, for
example. (From your question,
I think you may have confused your ancestors with
your descendants).

Best way to do this is probably to set a global
variable to the last menu
element:

<xsl:variable name="last-menu"
select="(//menu)[last()]"/>

and then when processing each menu element, test

<xsl:if test=". is $last-menu">  (XSLT 2.0)

<xsl:if test="generate-id(.) =
generate-id($last-menu)"/>  (XSLT 1.0)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/