xsl-list

Performance Problem Question: Web Container (Tomcat) vs. Console excecution

2005-06-23 08:49:03

Hello!

I am using Saxon 6.5.3 and I am seeing a huge performance difference
transforming the same input file once via console and then within a web
container, here Tomcat 5.

I wonder if there is something I can fine tune to get the same
performance seen in a console window when running within a web
container.

What happens is the following:

We have an application that retrieves XML data from the backend and
transforms it with XSLT to different output formats.

If I have huge XML input my web application has to wait about 25 seconds
for a transformation.  I have captured the XML data and saved it in a
file.  I then run from command line the same transformation with Saxons
-t option to see that the transformation here only takes 1.5 seconds.

The XML nicely formatted has 20,464 lines and its size is 853,587 bytes.

The 1.5 seconds in this extreme case is acceptable and I would be fine
with it.  But then I have the same execution within the web container
and get the 25 seconds which is a major drag.

Is there a general explanation for that or recommendations what could be
altered to achieve a better performance?

Thankful for any ideas and advice,

Andreas

Andreas Guther
Software Engineer
PaymentOne
. : Office - 408.362.4100
. : www.paymentone.com     . : aguther(_at_)paymentone(_dot_)com
. : . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . : .
. : Connecting Digital Merchants and Network Operators
. : Named One of Forbes "Top Ten to Watch in 2005"

This electronic mail message contains information belonging to PaymentOne,
which may be confidential and/or legal privileged. The information is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, printing,
copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents
of this electronically mailed information is strictly prohibited. If you
receive this message in error, please immediately notify us by electronic mail
and delete this message.