xsl-list

RE: Source Reducer

2005-06-06 09:25:56
The reduction according the ancestor count (wihout "mode"):
 <xsl:template match="@*">
        <xsl:copy-of select=./>
 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="node()">
   <xsl:param name="level>1</xsl:param>

   <xsl:copy>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
        <xsl:if test="$level &lt; 4">
                <xsl:apply-templates select="node()">
                        <xsl:with-param name="level" select="$level +
1"/>
                </xsl:apply-templates>
        </xsl:if>
   </xsl:copy>
 </xsl:template>

<!-- ..... -->

Regards,
tomi

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Welch [mailto:ajwelch(_at_)piper-group(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 6:03 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Source Reducer

I have a source xml which is 19MB +  I'm running the following "source

reducer" template against it using the
MSXML4 parser, however it is slow (has been running well over
2 min. now).  Any suggestions on how to optimize this source reducer
template?  Also, how does the ancestor match below work, what does it
do exactly?

<xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

 <xsl:template match="node()|@*">
   <xsl:copy>
   </xsl:copy>
 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="/*/*[position() > 20]"/>

 <xsl:template match="*[ancestor::*[3]]"/>

The final no-op template will match any element with 3 ancestors - it
means the result tree will be no more than 3 deep.

To improve performance you need to replace the use of the ancestor axis
with something else... but the only thing that instantly springs to mind
is to use modes eg:

 <xsl:template match="node()|@*">
   <xsl:copy>
     <xsl:apply-templates select="node()|@*" mode="second"/>
   </xsl:copy>
 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="node()|@*" mode="second">
   <xsl:copy>
     <xsl:apply-templates select="node()|@*" mode="stop"/>
   </xsl:copy>
 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="node()" mode="stop"/>

I'm sure there is a better way...

--~--

proprietary, or otherwise private information.  If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.  Any other
use of the email by you is prohibited.