xsl-list

RE: First Element in Sorted List

2005-06-01 07:16:23

I am hoping to to confirm something before going in the wrong
direction.

My process needs to take action on the first element in a list of
elements where the logic to determine first is the lowest
numeric value
of the sortorder attribute.  I don't believe there is a
one-line way to
do this - I believe the entire list must be sorted, and then the
position of each element after sort compared to determine if
it is first.

Is there a shorter/less expensive way to code the following

<xsl:for-each select="item">
   <xsl:sort select="@sortorder" data-type="number" />
   <xsl:if test="position() = 1">
     <!-- this is the first element in the sorted list -->
   </xsl:if>
</xsl:for-each>

I searched and found examples using this technique, but
nothing really
saying that this was the best or only approach.

Yes, in 1.0 that's the best way.  You could use an extension function if
portability isn't an issue, such as exslt's math:min().

2.0 has the min() function inbuilt (if you are using Saxon you can
pick-and-choose(TM) the features of 2.0 you want and use them in your
1.0 stylesheet).

cheers
andrew