xsl-list

RE: Keys working on nodeset?

2005-07-25 08:25:41

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response. I had not thought on extension
functions. If keys do not work on the nodeset, then I will
pursue this.

Keys definitely work on nodesets - it's just passing a nodeset into a
transform is notoriously tricky... so if you are having problems it
could be that you are passing something else into the transform that you
think is a nodeset.  At least if you pass a string in and then use an
extension function such as parse to turn it into a nodeset you are
guaranteed that what gets returned is acceptable to the processor.

If I understand correctly, the urlsolution will not work for
me. The document will be transformed many times each time
with different input. Both the document and the input are
generated on the fly from a database, which is why I do not
have url locations.

There are 3 ways I can think of to do this:

1- The way you are doing it now, pass the input xml in as a parameter

2- Use a custom URIResolver that intercepts a document() call and return
the input xml that way

3- Combine the two xml documents together before the transformation and
then the xslt only has to work on a single document.

Out of the 3, option 2 is the best but I'm not sure there's a .Net
equivalent of a custom URIResolver (which is in Java).

cheers
andrew