xsl-list

Re: Instantiating anyAtomicType -- why would I?

2005-07-08 17:42:01
On Friday 08 July 2005 23:18, Michael Kay wrote:
xdt:anyAtomicType is in fact an abstract type, and this cast should perhaps
fail.

If it is abstract, why should it /perhaps/ fail? Shouldn't it then always
fail?

Also, where is it normatively asserted that the type is abstract? I can't find
it here, for example: http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/#types-predefined

(it is likely me who don't find my way in the specs; is the property inherited
from any of its base types?)

I (also) think it would make sense for it to be abstract. If it is missing in
a specification, this should perhaps be submitted as a spec issue?

It's succeeding in Saxon because Saxon treats "A cast as B" as a
no-op if A is already an instance of B.

This is slightly questionable: if you do "(3 cast as xs:decimal) instance
of xs:integer", Saxon will give you the answer true(). I personally think
that it's justified, because whenever the spec says that an expression
returns a result of type R, the system is allowed to return a value that
belongs to a subtype of R. So, for example, a system that returns true()
for "3 instance of xs:short" would (in my opinion) be conformant.
The spec
says that 3 is an integer, and every xs:short is an integer, so if you
return an xs:short then you've satisfied the spec. I admit to some unease
over this interpretation, because the results aren't interoperable.
But
when you apply the reasoning to functions, it's perfectly clear that a
user-defined function whose declared result type is xs:decimal is permitted
to return an xs:integer; therefore I would think the same rule applies to
system-defined functions; and if it applies to system-defined functions, I
don't see why it shouldn't apply to other expressions including casts.

I am too unsure on these areas too contribute anything useful to the
discussion, but the paragraph was interesting and it spurred my wondering.

Cheers,

                Frans

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/