xsl-list

RE: [xsl] Re: Re: Re: [xsl] Importing compiled stylesheets

2005-07-01 01:01:12
"Michael Kay" <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote ..

As Mike Kay rightfully pointed, we have an already developed spec for
modules in XQuery:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-query-prolog

and it would be wise to stick to it thus reusing the thought and
experience of the WG and also assuring that implementing
exslt:include-compiled-module will not require any
significant effort from
vendours, who also implement XQuery.

in theory agreed, though there is very little to XQuery library modules
I would rather see something like the following...

<module xmlns="http://example.com/xquery/library/book";>

define function toc($book-or-section as element())
as element()*

{
for $section in $book-or-section/section
return

<section>
{ $section/@* , $section/title , toc($section) }
</section>
}

</module>

as an optional format, which allows any embedded xml elements...hehe, but of
course I would say that.

btw why is there no equiv xslt:element-available instruction in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/ ? perhaps a fn:function-available() that
returns a sequence based on meta data in above format...

On the whole I agree with that. But I'm not sure about the association
of
modules with namespace URIs for the functions being exported. One might
want
to do that differently in an XSLT context.

for those lurking here is a good overview of XQuery library modules

http://www.datadirect.com/developer/xquery/xquery_tutorial/library_modules/index.ssp

cheers, Jim Fuller