xsl-list

RE: Transform XML to XML

2005-08-25 13:11:30
That could be because your concept of what's happening internally is
inaccurate, leading you to mistaken ideas about the way things need to
be set up so that everything will happen the way you want it.

Uh, well, duh!  :)

Of course that's the case.  I do find myself getting frustrated and
almost angry at it because of how it behaves, but I guess that's my own
personal shortcoming. :)

Anywho, that's why I joined this list: to try to finally figure it out
(and to vent every so often. :)

-Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendell Piez [mailto:wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:07 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Transform XML to XML

Hi Mike,

At 01:21 PM 8/25/2005, you wrote:
I've done a lot of work with XSLT, but every time I start a new project

with a slightly different need I feel like I'm back at square one
because nothing ever seems to work as I expect it to!

That could be because your concept of what's happening internally is
inaccurate, leading you to mistaken ideas about the way things need to
be set up so that everything will happen the way you want it.

This is not an uncommon predicament for XSLTers, especially those who
come to it from backgrounds that conceptualize things differently. From
their perspective, XSLT is very odd and unpredictable

It is not, however, irrational, and in fact it's quite elegant and
powerful, and perfectly predictable, when you let it do things its way.

Learning about the identity transformation (which other replies are
pointing you to) is an especially helpful way of coming to terms with
XSLT's processing model.

So this is all to say that if XSLT has been tough, don't worry -- your
current project may be exactly what you need to reveal everything. Feel
free to post again with a question if it isn't clear how this works
(and/or do some Googling on XSLT, template matching and the processing
model).
We're strict, but we're nice, mostly.

Cheers,
Wendell