xsl-list

Re: Using Saxon 8.5 and collection() to process a directory of XML files

2005-08-04 10:22:27
"Michael" == Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> writes:

    Michael> You can call saxon:discard-document() to make a document
    Michael> available for garbage collection when there are no
    Michael> outstanding references to it.

Is this truly compliant with the standard?

Last time I looked at it, it would discard the document, and if the
same document URI was later referred to again via doc() or document(),
it would be re-read into memory.

Now, if the stylesheet calls generate-id() on the document node, and
writes the generated id to the result document, then calls
saxon:discard-document(), and later on again calls document() on the same URI,
and again calls generate-id()  on the document node, and again
writes the generated id to the result document, then the two strings
must be identical according to the standard, as I read it.

As far as I can remember, Saxon was not doing anything to enable this
to be true.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire