xsl-list

RE: <xsl:number?

2005-09-14 16:11:47
Anyone who can work out what xsl:number does by reading the XSLT 1.0
specification alone can join the elite. It's James Clark prose at its most
magnificent.

I have my own views on how to write specs, but a spec is not a tutorial.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Vint [mailto:dvint(_at_)dvint(_dot_)com]
Sent: 14 September 2005 23:41
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com;
xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] <xsl:number?

thanks,

you are saying the same thing as Chris did, which fixed my
problem. In this
case you are referencing the fact that level defaults to
single, where
Chris indicated to set it to any - which fixed my problem.

I had another related problem with a multiple numbering scheme. In
rereading the 7.7 section of XSLT and playing with the values
I discovered
that there is a need to sometimes use two or more
<xsl:number> elements
together to get the numbering that you want. Some how I had
managed to have
tables and figures all appear at the same level up until this
week and it
pointed out this second deficiency. This other use is shown
in the spec,
but it doesn't explain that it is the only way to make some
combinations
work. I just looked at it as an alternate way of doing what
the examples
with level=multiple were showing.

..dan