xsl-list

Re: Indentation question

2005-09-06 12:49:58
knocte <knocte(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

In HTML I have the advantage of writing a paragraph using EOL's and
don't worrying about the end view of the page because EOL's will be
converted to whitespaces.

Example:

    This is a easy-to-edit paragraph because
    I can break it into multiple lines.

The result in the browser will not contain any line-breaks.

Ahhh, but the browser SAW the line breaks.  It just chose to treat
them as spaces.

When you run a transformation and get breaks and spaces in the XML,
that is no different than than your HTML analogy.  Whomever _consumes_
the XML needs to treat newlines as spaces.  Which keeps to your
HTML/browser analogy.

Don't assume that newlines in your XML breaks anything or is inheritly
wrong.  If this XML is later feed to a browser (which I assume b/c
your example contains H2, P, etc...), then let the browser ignore the
newlines.

I.e. dont try and add more muscle to your stylesheets than necessary.

Caveat: if this is a B2B application where newlines are not
"desirable", then continue w/ the 'normalize-space' solution.