xsl-list

RE: Template priority problem

2005-09-06 08:53:40
When people come to this list and say that a template isn't matching when
they expect it to, the most common reason is that the elements are in a
namespace (typically a default namespace). You haven't shown us the source
document, so that's just a guess.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Bowditch [mailto:bowditch_chris(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 06 September 2005 16:38
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Template priority problem

I have a requirement to copy a source XML input file but
adjust just a
couple of elements in the file. I thought this would be real
simple but
I can't get it to work. I have two templates, one specific to match
elements I want to change and a identity transform one. Here
is the XSL
I have:

<xsl:template match="field" priority="2">
      <xsl:variable name="fieldindex" select="@index"/>
      <xsl:variable name="fieldname"
select="ancestor::dataSet/fielddefinition[$fieldindex]/@label"/>
      <field>
              <xsl:value-of select="."/>
      </field>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="* | comment() | text() |
processing-instruction() |
@*" priority="1">
      <xsl:copy>
              <xsl:apply-templates select="* | comment() | text() |
processing-instruction() | @*"/>
      </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

The problem is the template that matches field elements is always
ignored, despite the higher priority! So I just get an exact
copy of the
input XML. Can someone explain why this is and offer a simple
solution
to my requirement.

Thanks,

Chris