xsl-list

RE: special characters replaced in javascript url

2005-10-22 02:08:55
Non-ASCII characters cannot legally appear in a URI, which is why XSLT
always applies %-escaping to them. Unfortunately browsers aren't always very
compliant with the specs, and this is particularly the case with Javascript
"URLs" which usually are not really URIs at all.

In XSLT 2.0 you can suppress the automatic %-escaping of URI attributes
(Saxon 6.5.x also has an extension to do it with 1.0). With other
processors, the best rule is to keep the Javascript in your href attributes
very simple, just invoking functions defined in a script section. Better
still, don't use href at all, instead use attributes such as onClick which
are not defined as URIs.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Mingqiang Yu [mailto:myu(_at_)lanl(_dot_)gov]
Sent: 22 October 2005 05:59
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] special characters replaced in javascript url

I have a problem which was asked a while ago but I couldn't
find the final
answer to that question. So I'm sorry that I have to raise
this question
again.(http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200310/msg00841.html)

I have a very similar problem in which, I have an xml record
passed to my
stylesheet which contains the following string:
Crémieu, V.
So, in order for the stylesheet to handle this special characters
correctly, I need to defined it in my dtd file(document.dtd)
like this:
<!ENTITY eacute  "&#233;" >
and include this dtd file in the xml file passed to the stylesheet:
<!DOCTYPE document  SYSTEM "document.dtd" >

Then, the special characters are displayed correctly but when
I tried to
pass it as part of the url through javascript:
<a
href="javascript:frLink('FRLink','author',&quot;{$thisTerm}&quot;);">
in which the $thisTerm is the string Cr&eacute;mieu, V., the
same string
becomes "Cr%C3%A9mieu, V".

I tried to use the solution introduced in the link above by doing
escape-javascript like this:
<xsl:template name="escape-javascript">
    <xsl:param name="string" />
    <xsl:choose>
        <xsl:when test='contains($string, "&#233;")'>
            <xsl:call-template name="escape-javascript">
                <xsl:with-param name="string"
select='substring-before($string, "&#233;")' />
            </xsl:call-template>
            <xsl:text>&amp;eacute;</xsl:text>
            <xsl:call-template name="escape-javascript">
                <xsl:with-param name="string"
select='substring-after($string, "&#233;")' />
            </xsl:call-template>
        </xsl:when>
        <!-- test for other special characters or entities here -->
        <xsl:otherwise><xsl:value-of select="$string"
/></xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

It seems to work for this case. But I have too many special characters
that I cannot do the escape for every special characters.

Can you help to find a better solution to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Ming

--~--