xsl-list

RE: xslt & doctype problem

2005-10-17 00:52:26
The XHTML DTD declares a default namespace, in the guise of a defaulted
attribute value for the <html> element. Not a nice thing to do, because its
effect is to put all the unprefixed elements in your source document into a
namespace. This means they will not match unprefixed names used as match
patterns in your stylesheet.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Glyph [mailto:glyph(_at_)aliased(_dot_)org]
Sent: 17 October 2005 02:17
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] xslt & doctype problem

I have a problem whereby if I include an xhtml doctype
declaration in my

html then my xslt templates always match the wildcard.

Ive constructed a simple demonstration of a problem Im
having, hoping a
sage older hand can tell me where Ive gone wrong.
It includes a simple transform, and two xhtml files which
have two minor
differences: in the second I include the DOCTYPE declaration, and can
thus use the nbsp by name.

If I process them with xalan 2.7 (I had similar problems with
msxml, and
switched because I hoped xalan might be different) the 'head'
and 'body'
tags in the second file is always matched by the wildcard template.

java.exe -classpath %CLASSPATH% org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -IN
dummy.html -XSL dummy-clean.xslt

java.exe -classpath %CLASSPATH% org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -IN
dummy2.html -XSL dummy-clean.xslt

Hoping its something stupid (and thus easy to fix)
-G.

----- clean.xslt ---------------------------------

<xsl:transform version="1.0"

<xsl:output
method="html"
version="4.0"
encoding="iso-8859-1" indent="yes"
omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

<!-- start at root of document -->
<xsl:template match="/">
   <xsl:message terminate="no">
       Trace: root -<xsl:value-of select="name()" />-
   </xsl:message>
       <xsl:apply-templates select="*" />
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="html">
   <xsl:message terminate="no">
       Trace: html
   </xsl:message>
<xsl:copy>
   <xsl:apply-templates select="*" />
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="head">
   <xsl:message terminate="no">
       Trace: head
   </xsl:message>
<xsl:copy>
   <xsl:if test="not(title)">
   <title> No Title Given </title>
   </xsl:if>
   <xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="body">
   <xsl:message terminate="no">
       Trace: body
   </xsl:message>
<xsl:copy>
   <h1>
       <!-- potentially empty header -->
       <xsl:copy-of select="../head/title" />
   </h1>
   <xsl:apply-templates mode="inner" />
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<!-- copy generic nodes -->
<xsl:template match="*">
<xsl:copy>
   <xsl:copy-of select="@*" />
   <xsl:message terminate="no">
       Trace: generic -<xsl:value-of select="name()" />-
   </xsl:message>
   <xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<!-- copy generic nodes without trace -->
<xsl:template mode="inner" match="*">
<xsl:copy>
   <xsl:copy-of select="@*" />
   <xsl:apply-templates mode="inner" />