xsl-list

Re: XSLT Question regarding converting XML to CSV

2005-11-28 05:53:32
On 11/28/05, moshe malaver <malaver_m(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hi, I need to simulate converting my XML to CSV aswell
as to HTML.
it was decided that rowspan and callspan should be
accounted also in csv in the following way.
XML :
<ROWS>
<ROW>
<USA>  <rowspan>3</rowspan>
       <colspan>2</colspan>
</USA>
<BOS>  <colspan>2</colspan>
</BOS>
</ROW>
<ROW>
<NY>  <colspan>2</colspan>
</NY>
</ROW>
<ROW>
<LA>  <colspan>2</colspan>
</LA>
</ROW>
<ROW>
<CAN>  <rowspan>2</rowspan>
       <colspan>2</colspan>
</CAN>
<TOR>  <colspan>2</colspan>
</TOR>
</ROW>
<ROW>
<VAN>  <colspan>2</colspan>
</VAN>
</ROW>
</ROWS>

The output CSV file should look something like:

USA,,BOS,,
,,NY,,
,,LA,,
CAN,,TOR
,,VAN

How can I write my XSLT?

You will need to normlize your XML to remove rowspans and colspans
(which is tricky), which will then make generating the csv easy.

A stylesheet I wrote a while back does table normalization, although
you'll need to modify it to fit your XML:

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N7450.html#d9550e730

cheers
andrew