xsl-list

Re: sorting by comparing two nodes

2005-12-21 14:47:53
Hi David,

but aside from the fact that the syntax doesn't allow it, if the
comparison function for two points is not transitive, the answer isn't
well specified (what does it mean to sort in that case?)

sorry, perhaps I missed your point. My english is not the best.
What do you mean by transitive? Given a set of points the comparison
function of course determines just one possible sorting.

You only need to do one division don't you? That gives the tangent
which is enough once you know which quadrant you are in. You don't need
arctan if you only need to order.

again, perhaps we're talking about different things?! In a set of points I
choose
a fix reference point P(0) and sort all the other points P(i) by the increasing
counter-clockwise
angle the line segment P(0) - P(i) makes with the x-axis. So the angle is
dependent
on the reference point, not the quadrant.

But I think this is far beyond the scope of my thread.
Thanks again for your help!
Claus