xsl-list

Re: Unescaped CDATA?

2005-12-17 16:14:52
At 2005-12-17 18:11 -0500, I wrote:
At 2005-12-17 23:33 +0100, Jan Eden wrote:
I use a Python script to build XML files out of database records. Within these records, a certain field contains (not necessarily well-formed) HTML.

I need my XSLT processor to skip this data when transforming the document to an HTML document. So I thought it would be a great idea to enclose the data in a CDATA section:

That is not just a great idea, it is required.

Sorry, that was a misleading statement ... what is *required* is that the markup-sensitive characters in your HTML tag soup be escaped. How you escape them is not important, and CDATA sections are a convenient way to do such escaping ... though of course you could have used any method for escaping each individual markup-sensitive character.

--
Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses:  Denver,CO March 13-17,2006
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com