xsl-list

Re: Finding deepest node

2005-12-02 13:07:26
On 12/2/05, marcus <m-lists(_at_)bristav(_dot_)se> wrote:
I have a structure where I for example need to do the following:

.//node[(_at_)a = 'avalue']/@id

If I get multiple hits I only want to select the node that is farthest
away from the context node. How would I do this with a single xpath? Is
it possible at all?

Well......what do you mean by farthest away?  I'm sure it's probably possible.

say we had a tree like so

1
1.1
1.2
1.2..3
2
2.1
2.1.2
3
3.1
4
5
5.1

(Where 1.1 indicates there is a node one level below the first node of
the top level)

If the context node is at 1, would the "farthest away" be 1.2.3, 5, 5.1?

Ie is it depth or breadth or any?

There's a couple of techniques, but if it's just linear, ie furthest
sibling away, if there are more preceeding siblings, take first() of
the set of all siblings or if there are more following siblings take
last() of the set of all siblings

Jon